Consider joining The New Gallery's
The New Gallery (TNG) is currently accepting Letters of Interest for a Board Member to serve as Treasurer for the 2023/24 term.
The New Gallery (TNG) is an artist-run centre located in Mohkinstsis/Calgary in Calgary Chinatown. This charitable centre for contemporary art was established in 1975 as the Clouds & Water Gallery and Visual Production Society. Today, the organization provides opportunities and venues for artists that foster social and political creative practices, while engaging and educating audiences through contemporary art.
The treasurer submits quarterly reports on the organization's financial standing and provides support and leadership for the organization's financial responsibilities. The treasurer will consult with the Staff and Board to provide support on investing, fund development, and fundraising. Individuals must be able to regularly participate and contribute to the governance and operational activities of the organization. This position is designed to work closely with the President and the Operations Director of The New Gallery, supporting the treasurer to develop knowledge and skills around financials within non-profit organizations. The estimated time required is 5-10 hours per month. Virtual meeting attendance will be accepted post-pandemic. Specific duties include:
- Actively support and promote the organization's mandate and vision.
- Actively participate in decision-making.
- Attend monthly Board meetings held on the last Wednesday of each month.
- Represent TNG at gallery openings and community events.
- Participate in fundraising activities
- Provide leadership for the Board's fiduciary responsibilities.
- Delivery quarterly reports on the organization's financial standing to the Board.
- Support the Director in the creation of the annual operating budget.
- Advise on accounting policy and procedure.
- Review and support the Director in the volunteer audit and delivery of the year-end Review Engagement completed by the organization's accounting firm.
- Become a signing authority for the organization and co-sign cheques, agreements, and reporting as required.
If you are interested in serving on TNG's Board of Directors, please submit a Letter of Interest to TNG's HR Committee either through VolunteerConnector or at board[at]thenewgallery[dot]org with the subject line “Application: Board Treasurer 2023.” Oral and video submissions are also accepted, links to these files are preferred but other delivery methods are also accepted. CVs and resumes are not required, but applicants may supplement their letter of interest with this document if preferred.
TNG is dedicated to equitable access, and encourages Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, newcomer, 2SLGBTQ+ artists, d/Deaf and disabled artists, emerging artists, as well as artists from poor and working-class backgrounds to participate in this leadership opportunity. TNG is committed to working individually with applicants facing barriers to this opportunity. If you require support or accommodations during this process, please contact us at 403-233-2399 or email board[@]thenewgallery[dot]org - email@example.com
TNG gratefully acknowledges its home on the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region, including the Blackfoot Confederacy (Kainai, Piikani and Siksika), Tsuu T’ina First Nation, Stoney Nakoda First Nation (Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley), and Métis Nation of Alberta Region III. TNG would also like to acknowledge the many other First Nations, Métis and Inuit who call this land home.